Santa Hat Society…
- Seven years ago a family at school lost their father to cancer on Christmas night. His wife and 8 children were left with lots of faith and love but very little money.
- In order to help make the one year anniversary of his death a bit brighter, the ‘Santa Hat Society’ was born.
- Along with Santa Hat Society “elves”, I began working odd jobs such as raking leaves, washing windows, babysitting, cleaning cars & basements and everything in between. We earned over $2,000 which allowed us to provide each child with the top three gifts on their Santa wish list.
- In 2012, we raised over $3,000 to benefit four families. In addition to each child’s wish list, we were also able to provide box seats to three different sporting events and arranged a “meet and greet” with professional athletes.
- In 2013, we raised over $5,000 to benefit eight families. We achieved this by selling handmade Hints to Heaven Bracelets.
- In 2014, we raised over $10,000 to benefit thirteen families. We achieved this by selling earrings handmade by Santa Hat Society elves. We were able to provide numerous toys and electronics to the families. They also enjoyed box seats to four different sporting events and tickets to The David Letterman Show.
- In 2015, we raised over $17,000 with a Cash Raffle. We helped 18 families
- In 2016, through an Auction & Cash Raffle, we raised over $31,000. We helped 34 families.
- In 2017, through our Cash Raffle and many generous donations, we raised over $42,500. We helped 38 families who faced the loss of a parent or child, a serious illness or other financial challenges.
- Our goal for 2018 is to help even more families.
Mary Kate Brushafer (age 18)